Twelve companies have made it through to the finals of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers’ Manufacturing Excellence Awards 2012.
Philippa Oldham, Head of Manufacturing at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers said: “These twelve companies demonstrate the variety in UK manufacturing, with firms making products as diverse as breathing apparatus, vegetable boxes and defence systems.
“Manufacturing Excellence has a rigorous selection process, including a detailed benchmark process and visits to the plants by assessors, so these companies really represent the very best in UK industry.”
The 12 finalists are:
- KAB Seating: a Northampton-based vehicle seat manufacturer
- Draeger Safety UK: a Northumberland-based manufacturer of life-saving safety equipment for a range of industries
- ScotAsh: A manufacturer of sustainable construction products using by-products from power stations based in Fife
- SKF: Luton-based rolling bearings and seals manufacturer
- H K Timbers: Gainsborough-based potato and vegetable box manufacturer
- G & H Precision Engineering: Southampton-based precision engineering firm
- FFEI Ltd: Hertfordshire manufacturer of inkjet products, printing software and 3D printing simulation
- Altro Limited: Safety and commercial flooring manufacturer based in Letchworth
- Hymid Limited: Torquay-based company which provides injection moulding solutions
- Accutronics Limited: Battery manufacturer based in Newcastle-under-Lyme specialising in developing technologies for ‘smart batteries’
- Building Adhesives Limited: A pioneering manufacturer of tiling adhesives, grouts and ancillary products based in Stoke on Trent
- MBDA: Lostock-based missile and defence systems manufacturer.
Manufacturing Excellence, run by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, is a successful and long established manufacturing support programme in the UK. It provides a detailed benchmarking and assessment process to help improve manufacturing businesses.
As part of the Manufacturing Excellence programme companies are asked to conduct an in-depth self assessment and those who complete one or more of the eight parts receive a free, bespoke and confidential benchmark report. The best companies in each module receive a free visit from a team of expert assessors who verify the audit responses and offer practical advice and suggestions for the business.
The winners will be announced on 27 November at an awards ceremony in London.